Overwatch’s longest hinted character is now playable on the Public Test Realm on PC!
In the video above, Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan explains Doomfist’s lore as well as his abilities. Here are some interesting facts and trivia with regards to Doomfist’s history:
- He is originally from Nigeria
- He is a prominent member of the Talon leadership. This beats the assumption that Reaper is the sole leader of the villainous organisation as there is actually a council of leaders who decide collectively on what course of action the organisation will pursue.
- It was Reaper who broke him out of prison.
- He is the third one to hold the mantle of Doomfist. It is not known what became of his predecessors.
- Doomfist’s ideology is that in order for humankind to become stronger, they need to endure through more conflict — going against Overwatch’s ideology which is to protect the peace and harmony of the world. Doomfist thus utilises Talon to implement his world views onto others.
- It was our moon monkey Winston who put Doomfist behind bars, hence making his hatred for Overwatch even stronger
- He is not voiced by Terry Crews but is rather voiced by American theatre director and Tony Award nominee Sahr Ngaujah.
Expect to learn more about Talon’s organisation as you listen into Doomfist’s conversations with fellow Talon members: Reaper, Widowmaker and Sombra. We now move on to some important information with regards to his abilities:
- Doomfist is a tough offensive character
His abilities include:
- Rocket Punch; by holding the button longer, players are able to project themselves with more force and distance, propelling them to punch their enemies with the gauntlet. This ability is special because 1. Players can go through barriers, meaning that Reinhardt’s shield is no longer a problem. 2. It deals more damage if players were onto knock enemies into a wall.
- Rising Uppercut; it is a giant uppercut where he leaps into the air and punches an enemy up into the air with him.
- Seismic Slam — Doomfist has a targeting radical in the air and proceeds to launch a giant attack with the backhand of the gauntlet. This stuns the enemy for a while and lets players inflict more combo abilities onto their enemies.
- His primary attack is that of a knuckle shotgun, with each knuckle loaded leading to a total of 4 shots. He can fire them rather quickly but this attack is not meant to be his main one.
- Ultimate ability: Meteor strike. Doom fist shoots up into the air, gets a targeting radical and gauges where he wants to land on the map, then comes from the sky like heaven’s wrath and knocks every enemy within that range, dealing both damage and stunning them in the process.
- Passive ability: the Best Defense. When Doomfist lands a punch on an enemy, he gains a temporary shield that increases as he throws more punches. This is because Doomfist is meant to do a lot of flanking and diving into enemy teams, hence why he needs a shield to ensure his survivability. However, the shield will decay over time.
What do you think about this offensive hero? Let us know in the comments below!